sidlc: generated files in cvs

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Mon May 22 18:46:25 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've volunteered to do some of the autoconf and (if people
let me) automake stuff in sidlc.

I mailed a little with Sander and we came together (or I
convinced him, whatever), that we don't want to put any
generated files in cvs, only human-edited files.

This is completely different from samba in cvs, and here
are some of the reasons and ideas behind this (most are
just the style of gimp/gtk/glib from cvs):

Main reason, why we think, we can do so:

sidlc is mostly only interesting to developers, not to
"normal unix-admins". And we think, we can expect them to
have installed some recent version of autoconf and automake
(recent==released). They will anyway need bison and flex
too, so those two more shouldn't hurt.

To be clear: This does only affect sidlc from cvs. A
release (if and when ever one will happen...) will of
course contain all the generated files, including
pregenerated bison/flex-output. So a release will be as
self-contained as samba is currently.

automake will greatly help in this area, cause one only has
to type "make dist" and gets a sidlc-VERSION.tar.gz with
all the relevant stuff in it.

If I'm going to use automake (would like some comments on
it. I have to say, I realy want it), I will add gimp-style
autogen.sh, so after checkout, you only have to run
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make.

Okay, Hope, I'm not too far of, what Sander thinks about
it. If so, I hope, he cries loud enough. :)

    Elrond