homes share questions

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 22 14:09:35 GMT 2000

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> 1. Why do I always see a share named homes as well as one with my logon
> name. They both contain the same files, which are in my home directory.

homes is a "magic" share, which always points to the current user's home
directory - whoever that user is. Quite useful in login scripts etc.

You can disable it if you want - just delete the [homes] section of your
smbd.conf file.

> 2. Is there a 10 char limit on either a share name, or a login name. In the
> case where I login with a name longer than 10 chars, then I do NOT get what
> I stated in 1 above. I get an invalid network name on the long name share.

There certainly can't be a 10 character limit on username - NT's
Administrator account would have problems then! (Not that NT admins don't
have problems - they just don't have that particular one...)

There may well be a limit imposed by the OS Samba is running on, though;
there shouldn't be a limit on directory names like this, though. Shares?
Not sure :-(

James.