samba and inetd problems

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 20 15:32:23 GMT 2000

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

(snip)

> As I pointed out in other posts, the real problem is with inetd. Remember we
> are making VOS POSIX.1 compliant and porting streams tcp as well as samba,
> apache and gcc all at the same time. As soon as we get the bugs out of
> inetd, I am sure there will be no problem running smbd and nmbd from inetd.

It seems there are problems running nmbd from inetd anyway, from what
others say. Running smbd should work OK, aside from performance issues,
though.

> At least on the Stratus, there is no problem with many processes using the
> same port. If that were the case, you could only have 1 telnet session.

That's not the point: the problem is with many process ACCEPTING
CONNECTIONS on the same port. You can have many telnet sessions open, but
can you have many telnet SERVERS running at once? If you do, which one
gets the next incoming session?

James.