samba and inetd problems

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 19 17:45:40 GMT 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> I should have explained that although I have been in the computer biz for 33
> years, I am new to Unix and all things to do with communications
> (intentionally).

Fairy nuff. I can understand you avoiding both areas - they do seem rather
user-hostile in parts :-)

> I also probably mislead you when I said recommended. What I should have said
> is that several books document how to start the Samba daemons from either
> inetd or startup scripts (I think that is the proper Unix phrase).

Aha! TBH, they really should have explained "you CAN run it via inetd, but
don't do it unless SMB is VERY rarely used". (I run FTP this way, for
example, as I mentioned.)

> The specific books are:
> Using Samba		                  pg. 46-48
> Samba, Unix & NT Internetworking	pg. 24-28, 93, 260
> Teach Yourself Samba in 24 hours	pg. 55-56
>
> I now understand that inetd is used for low traffic situations and other
> technical reasons. VOS has the concept of a boot script, and I have no
> problem starting it that way.

That's certainly the best way for most situations.

> It also appears that there is a bug in the POSIX port that is happening in
> parallel. I just got notified that they are restarting the stcp stack and I
> can test again.

What's this bug?

> If anyone is interested, I will post the results of further testing. Please
> respond in the affirmative if you are interested.

Speaking only for myself, I would certainly be interested in any further
reports, especially of Samba on VOS - success reports preferred, of course
:-)

James.