samba and inetd problems

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri May 19 05:34:01 GMT 2000

[Ron Alexander <rcalex at home.com>]
> If I put the entries in the inetd.conf file, I get some strange behavior.

As I recall, this isn't recommended, especially for nmbd.  The whole
NetBIOS suite of protocols confuses me at the best of times, but I
believe you can get major browsing problems if your nmbd isn't
persistent.  smbd is a little more up in the air, I admit.

As the old joke goes, I'd recommend "So don't do that."  Just run smbd
and nmbd with "-D" at boot.

> I see 3 listeners to port 139. 2 of them are wildcards and one is the
> specific interface I have in the smb.conf, but localhost is missing.

>From what I understand of the Unix sockets paradigm, you can't get the
functionality of "interfaces=" if you're running from inetd, because
you "interfaces=" specifies what ports you bind to, but if you're using
inetd, you aren't binding ports at all.  (inetd is binding them.)

> tcp        0      0  *:139               *:*                LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  134.111.220.160:139 *:*                LISTEN
> tcp        0      0  *:139               *:*                LISTEN

Don' know nothin' about how *that* got in there.  It is interesting, no
question about it.

Peter