Why do we treat netbios-name<1D> specially?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed May 17 23:25:06 GMT 2000

Dave,

> "Alex H. Vandenham" <alex at avantel.com> wrote:
> | the question came up as a result of a problem we were having with
> | multiple workgroups on multiple subnets across a VPN.

This has to do with errors in Microsoft's implementation of the NBNS
server (aka. WINS server).

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/winresource/dnwinnt/S76B0.HTM
and read on...

According to the RFCs, the NBNS server is supposed to keep track of *all*
registered owners of a group name.  That is, each group name should have a
list of IPs associated with it and, when Machine A does a name query on
group name ZARQUON, it should get the entire list.  This, plus the
datagram service facilitates NetBIOS multicast.

Microsoft chose to store only the address 255.255.255.255 instead of the
list.  This is a nasty kludge.  The result is that NetBIOS group
multicasts are restricted to the local IP subnet.

Microsoft themselves ran into trouble with this, so they came up with an
exception.  The "Internet group name" is name type 0x1C, and they store up
to 25 IP addresses.  The limit of 25 has to do with the size of a UDP
packet.  (In the RFCs, the size of the list was unlimited and a truncation
bit was set if the packet was too small for the full list.  The client
could then optionally negotiate a TCP connection to get the full list.
Yes, really.)

Samba's implementation follows the Microsoft mechanism, wrong as it is.
This causes problems for OS/2 systems, in particular, because they expect
correct behavior.  There is a patch available for Samba and I want to talk
to folks next week about applying it.  (Look in the Samba-Technical
archives for "Adding Netbios Datagram Distributor support to Samba".)  The
major test I want to try is to see what happens to Windows boxen in the
face of the corrected behavior.  The patch author (see the samba-tech
archives) claims no problems with Windows boxen.

I don't think that the TCP/137 option needs to be supported, but I'm not
completely sure.  I note that Microsoft has TCP/137 and TCP/138 open in
some cases (and yes, I mean TCP not UDP).  Have they, do you think,
decided to use these ports for their own purposes?  Hmmm...

Chris -)-----