tdbexport (was Re: Working on LDAP support in HEAD)

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Wed May 17 12:20:00 GMT 2000

Hi Peter,

I understand it right? Your tool is under the GPL (it's not
noted in the headers) If so, I will add the usual
GPL-header (from one of the other files in samba)and add it
to TNG (at least).

It would be great, if you also get the time to write
tdbimport.

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 09:21:48PM +1000, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> [Tim Potter <tpot at linuxcare.com.au>]
[...]
> True!  I was thinking only of the byte order of the file format itself
> -- *content* is completely untouched.  This is still useful for textual
> tdb data like smbpasswd and wins.dat, and that was the real intent.
>
> If you're going to start worrying about storing byte order for
> arbitrary binary data, don't forget that people are dumping arbitrary
> structs in these things.  So now you have to talk all about word sizes,
> structure packing, floating point format, 1's/2's-complement (:, etc.
> In the end, I doubt it's worth it.

Yep. If arbitrary structs are stored in tdb, they should
not be real important data, that someone ever wants to
export for anything else then debugging.
So caches and stuff like that (lock-databases, connections,
etc.) are good for this.

Anything, that contains important data (smbpasswd as one
important example) should be either in plaintext
(preferred, so people can actually read the exported stuff)
or in NDR-format (prs) (Luke is using this in TNG.)

    Elrond