Stratus VOS port status and issue.

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 12 17:16:56 GMT 2000

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:
> From: James Sutherland [mailto:jas88 at cam.ac.uk]
> On Sat, 13 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:
>
> (snip successful test>
> Another string to Samba's bow, then. Well done!
>
> > Now for a problem that I hope the experts will be quick to solve.
> >
> > The path names on VOS start with a % sign. Here is what I see in my log
> > file.
> >

> > [2000/05/12 09:36:07, 3] loadparm.c:(1525)
> >   adding home directory Ron_Alexander at
> > %swsle#m12_user>Stratus>Ron_Alexander
> >
> > [2000/05/12 09:36:16, 0] service.c:(486)
> >   Can't change directory to _swsle#m12_user>Stratus>Ron_Alexander (No such
> > file
> > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> > As you can see the % has been replaced by a _ causing a file not found
> > error.
> >
> > We are well aware of the larger problem of trying to get our file system
> > be compatible with a Unix style system, but this is a problem we did not
> > expect.
> > Other than some possibly major code modifications for VOS (a practice I
> have
> > avoided so far) is there a way to resolve this in Samba.
>
> Have you considered patching dos_to_unix() to convert VOS file paths to
> Unix ones? (i.e. replace %, # and > with /, and vice versa? This looks
> like the "cleanest" place to do it, AFAICS.
>

> James.
>
> 1. How could you then translate back?

unix_to_dos()

> 2. Since all those characters are valid in Unix pathnames, why don't they
> have a problem?

Good question... Samba shouldn't be doing anything with them, AFAICS.
It can't be client-side, since this is via the homes share. Something
strange in the configuration side of things, perhaps?

> 3. I have looked at the code and can not find where % or %s is xlated to _

Nor can I :-(

You were accessing this path via the homes share, I take it? Where is
Samba getting this path info from? My first guess would be the section
which reads home directories.

James.