Working on LDAP support in HEAD

Ignacio Coupeau icoupeau at unav.es
Fri May 12 17:01:38 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

> The issue the allocation of user RID's in the LDAP entries.
> Under the scheme devised for SAMBA_TNG (i'm talking about the
> older LDAP schema), RID's are generated automatically and
> in a monotonically increasing order (like NT).  However,
> this will make it very difficult to migrate from smbpasswd to LDAP
> in a Samba controlled NT domain.
>
> Why you ask? :-)
>
> Changing the user RID will break existing profiles.  So how do we
> get around this?  By setting the RID to be the same.  I have some
> perl scripts that will transder an smbpasswd into an LDAP tree
> while keeping this existing user RID (as defined by the algorithms
> currently coded in smbd).

I tested it, and as Inge-Håvard says, the roaming profiles can be copied
to different users; the re-added users can use the roaming profile, so
the RID can change without damage the profile... Also, you can
add/delete Ws accounts and the profiles and policies may be reused. So,
I think the incremental RID can work at this moment (until TNG runs and
so).

Ignacio

Ignacio Coupeau, Ph.D.     e-mail: icoupeau at unav.es
CTI, Director              fax:    948 425619
University of Navarra      voice:  948 425600
Pamplona, SPAIN            http://www.unav.es/cti/