Stratus VOS port status and issue.

Ron Alexander rcalex at home.com
Fri May 12 16:30:33 GMT 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: James Sutherland [mailto:jas88 at cam.ac.uk]
Sent: May 12, 2000 11:39 AM
To: Ron Alexander
Cc: Multiple recipients of list SAMBA-TECHNICAL
Subject: Re: Stratus VOS port status and issue.

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

(snip successful test>
Another string to Samba's bow, then. Well done!

> Now for a problem that I hope the experts will be quick to solve.
>
> The path names on VOS start with a % sign. Here is what I see in my log
> file.
>

> [2000/05/12 09:36:07, 3] loadparm.c:(1525)
>   adding home directory Ron_Alexander at
> %swsle#m12_user>Stratus>Ron_Alexander
>
> [2000/05/12 09:36:16, 0] service.c:(486)
>   Can't change directory to _swsle#m12_user>Stratus>Ron_Alexander (No such
> file
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> As you can see the % has been replaced by a _ causing a file not found
> error.
>
> We are well aware of the larger problem of trying to get our file system
> be compatible with a Unix style system, but this is a problem we did not
> expect.
> Other than some possibly major code modifications for VOS (a practice I
have
> avoided so far) is there a way to resolve this in Samba.

Have you considered patching dos_to_unix() to convert VOS file paths to
Unix ones? (i.e. replace %, # and > with /, and vice versa? This looks
like the "cleanest" place to do it, AFAICS.

James.

1. How could you then translate back?
2. Since all those characters are valid in Unix pathnames, why don't they
have a problem?
3. I have looked at the code and can not find where % or %s is xlated to _

Can someone please tell me what is going on here?

It is so close, and not having the concept of a home dir share is a non
starter of an idea.

Ron