Working on LDAP support in HEAD

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu May 11 17:55:57 GMT 2000

> However, this migration strategy breaks the incremental RID
> allocation scheme use by the LDAP passwd backend.
>
> Finally, my point.  I would like to allocate the RID's based
> upon the samba uid <-> RID mapping function implemented in
> the main branch.

1) the samba uid <-> rid mapping functions that exist at the moment and
are currently in use contain insufficient information [support for local
alias types and user types and nothing else].

2) there is no official support for pdc functionality.

therefore, technically, there is a reason why we cannot support
pre-existing uid <-> rid schemes based on smbpasswd, and officially there
is a reason why we do not support _any_ pre-existing schemes.

therefore, there's no issue.

oh.  plus, we're not microsoft, so we're not bound by the chains of
backwards-compatibility.  ... at least ... i'm not.

what say thee?

lukes