Working on LDAP support in HEAD

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu May 11 14:46:38 GMT 2000

[note that the original message has been cross posted to
samba-ntdom at samba.org as well.  However, let's keep all
discussion on samba-technical as that should make it easier
to follow in the archives.   Thanks   --jerry]

Folks,

I need some input on a judgement call for fixing the LDAP
support in the HEAD branch.

The issue the allocation of user RID's in the LDAP entries.
Under the scheme devised for SAMBA_TNG (i'm talking about the
older LDAP schema), RID's are generated automatically and
in a monotonically increasing order (like NT).  However,
this will make it very difficult to migrate from smbpasswd to LDAP
in a Samba controlled NT domain.

Why you ask? :-)

Changing the user RID will break existing profiles.  So how do we
get around this?  By setting the RID to be the same.  I have some
perl scripts that will transder an smbpasswd into an LDAP tree
while keeping this existing user RID (as defined by the algorithms
currently coded in smbd).

However, this migration strategy breaks the incremental RID
allocation scheme use by the LDAP passwd backend.

Finally, my point.  I would like to allocate the RID's based
upon the samba uid <-> RID mapping function implemented in
the main branch.

What say people to this?

Cheers,
jerry