Win 2000 can't join domain with samba-2.0.7

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed May 10 10:16:14 GMT 2000

[Dan Ardelean <dany at databit.ro>]
> I have a Linux box running samba-2.0.7 and i've been trying to join
> the samba domain but it doesn't seem to work.  Joining the domain
> with an NT 4.0 Workstation works just fine.

Very frequently asked question.  Answer: this is known to be broken and
almost certainly will not be fixed in the 2.0.x series.  2.0.x is,
after all, explicitly NOT supported as an NT domain controller.

The next release, 3.0.0, will support the NT domain controller modes,
including with Windows 2000 clients.

Peter