Odd domain membership issues with Samba 2.0.7?

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Tue May 9 15:23:32 GMT 2000

I recently upgraded my Samba test machine here from 2.0.5a to 2.0.7.
Everything seems fine with the exception of a couple issues.  Among them,
something seems funky with its domain membership, or at least the reporting
thereof.

The machine shows up in the domain as far as WINS/NetBIOS is concerned, and
authentication appears to work.  However, looking at the server's property
sheet in Explorer yields something like [names fictional]:

 test

 Comment: test (Samba 2.0.7), pid 23292
 Workgroup:

 Type: Windows NT 4.2 Server

Whereas the other servers (not yet upgraded) yield something like:

 server

 Comment: server (Samba 2.0.5a), pid 3515
 Domain: AUXDOM

 Type: Windows NT 4.2 Server

The test server also yielded similar stuff before the upgrade.  All the
servers are using effectively identical configurations, and
private/MACHINE.SID and private/AUXDOM.TEST.mac have been left alone
(although the .mac seems to be getting updated regularly, which I suppose
means the actual domain membership is healthy).

I can't find anything suspicious in the Samba logs either.

So, anyone have any ideas what's changed/broken?