2.0.7 utmp: YAP (Yet Another Patch)

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue May 9 09:19:12 GMT 2000

On Sat, 6 May 2000, David Lee wrote:

> There is now a new version (.3) of the patch which should fix the known
> problems.  In particular it should be a better base for:
> o  BSD-like systems (e.g. FreeBSD, SunOS 4) which have to access files
>    directly;
> o  OSF (is AIX similar?) whose optimistic claims about utmpx belie the
>    reality of an impoverished implementation.
>
> Doubtless there are still bugs ...

There was, indeed, a minor bug (which would only have affected systems
with both a small "ut_line" field and a large numbers of connections).
It is now fixed in version ".4" of the patch:

   http://www.dur.ac.uk/~samba/utmp-207.patch      (c. 119 kbytes)
   http://www.dur.ac.uk/~samba/utmp-207.patch.gz   (c.  17 kbytes)

as of about 9:45 BST (8:45 GMT/UTC) Tuesday 9 May.

Could the utmp enthusiasts try it and report problems to me, please.
I'd particularly like confirmation for:
   AIX
   OSF
   Compaq Tru 64
   Digital
   HPUX
because folk have reported quirks with those at one time or another.

I am having to squeeze in this utmp coordination/development, without it
adversely affecting my day-job or family life.  The patch now seems
stable, and both functionality and portability seem considerably better
than at 2.0.7 .

So unless I hear of serious problems with it, I suggest that Jeremy rolls
it into the CVS tree at the end of this week (Fri 12 May).  Any further
work would be against that, and I'll drop out of the loop.

Thanks to all who have contributed ideas and code.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :