turn off codepages

Ron Alexander rcalex at home.com
Mon May 8 20:27:25 GMT 2000

I am confused (not unusual).

If Samba does NOT support codepages, why is there:
1. code that spews out diagnostics
2. a codepage directory
etc.

In other words, can it be somehow configured out?

I just checked the Makefile.in and there are about 10 references to either
the codepage dir, supported codepages or code to do with codepages. NONE of
it is conditional in the Makefile.in.

If as you say "AFAIK no platform that SAMBA runs on supports codepages."
then what do they do to get rid of the diagnostic msgs?

Here is the diagnostic I am talking about.

[2000/05/08 13:54:00, 0] charset.c:(228)
  load_client_codepage: file /system/samba/codepages/codepage.437 is an
incorrect size for a code page file (size=0).

It might seem like a nit, but I know somebody in the user community will
call me at 4:00 in the afternoon. The problem is, they will be in Singapore.

TIA,
Ron