Processing Logon Scripts hosted on an NT PDC using Samba

Brian Keats bkeats at spiff.chin.gc.ca
Mon May 8 17:05:40 GMT 2000

Hi,
	I have a question that I hope maybe someone on the technical list can
help answer.  I'll first start by describing a setup of an NT controlled LAN.
Our NT lan is comprised of many sub-domains using WinNT as the PDC's and Win95
as the workstation of choice, although there are probably WinNT workstations as
well.  The PDC's store the netlogon scripts for users according in file
structures determined by the different administrators choice.  I.E. one user in
a different geographical location might have his netlogon script stored in
"West/sales/start.bat" and another in say something like
"Boston/West/marketing/market.bat".  The point I'm trying to make here is that
the location and name of the script are not easily recreated using some of
samba's special variables (%u, %h ...).  I have set up a samba server to serve
some machines on a private sub net and also have an interface on the NT
corporate LAN.  The machines on the private lan are all WIN 95 machines.  The
linux/samba machine was added to the NT domain (I believe as a workstation).
When users log on to machines on the private network, they are validated
against the NT PDC corretctly, can map drives, can access printers, etc. but
during the logon process I havent't been able to get the NT PDC to pass along
the login script it has stored to the samba machine to pass along to the
machines on the private LAN.  My question is, is this possible ?  If so,  how
could I do this ?  I've tried with 2.05a and also with 2.06, I'm now trying
with 2.07. I have tried with security=domain and also with security=server but
all with the same effect.  Any ideas ?

Regards