Status of Kerberos Support across Samba versions

Mayers, P J p.mayers at ic.ac.uk
Fri May 5 16:19:36 GMT 2000

As I understand is, the PAC issued by Win2K contains signed SIDs, the groups
of which the ticketholder is a member. By adding users to groups, requesting
a ticket, removing them, and requesting another ticket, it cannot be that
hard to reverse the contents.

Samba wouldn't issue the PAC anyway - it would be the KDC's job to issue the
K5 ticket with the appropriate PAC. Samba would have to *use* the PAC (this
might seem a picky distinction, but I'm coming to the point...)

So, what would not using the PAC implicate for Samba? Well, you wouldn't
know what NT groups the ticket had permissions for. If you're willing to
live with a loss of flexibility, you could do a name-based lookup (against
the ActiveDirectory, say) to get the groups.

I agree a Win2K compliant PDC would have to have a PAC-format-issuing KDC,
but I'll leave that up to the MIT or Heimdal boys. Samba can survive without
the PAC info - but K5 ticket support (instead of NTLM of whatnot) would be
nice.

Cheers,
Phil