samba printing troubles

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Wed May 3 16:37:40 GMT 2000

Gerald Carter wrote:

>> Since samba 2.0.6 here is printing bug and in 2.0.7 I saw
>> it again. When print to samba printer from Lotus Notes (for
>> Windows 9x/NT) no document will be printed. At the same time
>> file named "-" appears in the /tmp directory. That file

>Did anyone address this yet?  I've not heard anyone else indicate
>a similar problem before.

AFAIK, In samba 2.0.6 a change was made in the printing interface for
win9x (don't know if it affects winnt too), consisting in samba using
(as a filename and job name) the print name that win9x uses (with
special chars stripped off) instead of something like username.randomid
that was used in samba <= 2.0.5.
This is in order for samba to report a meaningful print name in win9x
printer status window.

Maybe the notes application produces particular print names (maybe with
Russian charset) that make the new interface to fail, or to strip all
chars but a "-".

giulioo at pobox.com