Domain Logons from Windows 95 clients

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon May 1 18:35:55 GMT 2000

Richard,

I thought about the recent comments you made regarding
the domain logons support for Windows 95 clients, and have
an experience to share....

Last night, a friend (at the job I just left) brought
another Samba box online.  This was a second large file
server setup with 'domain logons = no'.  The primary
Samba box had domain logons enabled and the following browsing
parameters

        os level = 64
        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes

The second box mistakeningly was configured with the same
browsing parameters (domain logons was set to no).
This morning, no one was able to logon to the domain.  Since
I was not on site, I could not verify this, but I am the problem
was resolved by correctly configuring the browsing parameters
on the second box, thus allowing clients to correctly resolve
domain<1b>.

Any comments?

jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com    VA Linux Systems  gcarter at valinux.com