Running smbpasswd as a Regular User

Silio Garcia garcias at scra.org
Mon May 1 13:12:45 GMT 2000

I am running Samba 2.0.5 on Solaris 7 (NIS Server/Slave(s)).  On neither system
I am abled to change the user's password, as a Regular user.  I get the
following error when attempting to change the password, using smbpasswd, as a
Regular user:

/home/garcias > smbpasswd
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 139
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the tconX on the IPC$ share. Error was : ERRSRV -
ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup
are invalid.).
Failed to change password for garcias

I don't know what else to change to make this work.  I have tried numerous
combinations (i.e. smb.conf), without any success.

Can anyone provide a direction and/or ideas????

thanks,

Silio Garcia
Principal Engineer
Logicon, a Northrop Grumman Company