NWFS mangled name algorithm.

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Mar 28 14:04:30 GMT 2000

Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Andrew, any comments on changing to one of these in Samba
> instead of the (rather crappy:-) str_checksum() function ?

Just a comment here.  Every time the filename mangling
code changes to produce a different name, it is possible
to break PIF file shortcuts under Windows 9x.  I noticed
this between 2.0.3 and 2.0.6.  Only affects PIF files
to DOS programs whose filenames are not 8.3 compliant
obviously.  Most often occurs when a batch file uses a LFN.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )