More utmp stuff

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 15:52:41 GMT 2000

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Matthew Geier wrote:

> David Lee wrote:
> >
> > Why, conceptually, do you think it needs changing?  Your example has three
> > connections, giving three utmp entries.  What, conceptually is wrong with
> > that?
> >
> > By analogy, if there are three connections between an X-terminal and a
> > timesharing machine, that, rightly, gives three utmp entries.  You seem to
> > be arguing that Samba should use a fundamentally different model.  Could
> > you persuade us why?
>
>  Actually xterm has a flag to stop it from writing into utmp, and most
> systems i've used are setup that way. utmp has ONE entry per 'session'
> not one per xterm.
>
>  If all  you want to know is who is using the machine, having the same
> user listed 5 times 'cause they are connected to 5 different SMB
> resources is a bit much. If you want to know what they are connected to
> use smbstatus...
>
>  Can we at least have an option for ONE entry and some sort of reference
> count on that users connections so it goes away after the last resource
> is disconnected ?.
>  For many years I have  been running a pre/post exec on the 'homes'
> share to get entries utmp, of course if for some reason they disconnect
> from 'homes' and not the others....
>
>  You can argue both ways on this one I expect.

Indeed.  In subsequent discussion on the list, we seem to have agreed that
a parameter "utmp consolidate" (or some such name) could control whether
to store one entry or all N entries.  A provisional implementation of the
single-entry code has been done by "Freddie".

Many of the aspects being discussed interact with each other on the code
base of "connection.c".  I believe Jeremy is about to apply an update to
the 2.0.7pre2 version of that file.  So I have not yet attempted to apply
the "utmp consolidate" code, but it is very near the top of the list.

Thanks.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :