More utmp stuff

Elrond Elrond at Wunder-Nett.org
Fri Mar 24 19:50:08 GMT 2000

Hi,

I already wrote that some time ago, but didn't see any
response, and since you seem to be the "interested party"
(Jeremy):

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 03:19:28AM +1100, David Lee wrote:
[...]
> Some points:

[...]
> o  The sheer variety of utmp implementations means that porting is
>    becoming increasingly non-trivial.

You should realy consider taking a deep look at screen and
rxvt (in that order). There's no need to reinvent the wheel
every time, and they did much of that work already.
(and they're GPL'ed, so there shouldn't be any
copyright-issues, or do I miss something?)

(and those don't have many runtime-configuration-options,
so they need to get paths right in the first place)

> o  Despite the above downgrading of "utmp dir" to geek status, there
>    should probably be a "wtmp dir" too.
[...]

I don't know, if there's any system out there, that uses
something else then a single file for utmp/wtmp, so maybe
the options should be "utmp file" and "wtmp file".
(wtmp file = /var/log/wtmp.samba)

> o  Worthy consideration should be given to the idea of consolidating
>    multiple connections from the same PC into one single utmp record,
>    perhaps by a "utmp consolidate" parameter, and idea suggested and
>    already implemented by "Freddie <freddie at ns1.nowait.net>" .
[...]

But it should only merge entries for the _same_ user.

    Elrond