profiles not working / utmp?

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Mar 23 23:51:10 GMT 2000

At 12:37 AM 3/24/00 +1100, Freddie wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Now I remember why I didn't bother upgrading from 2.0.5a -> 2.0.6...
>profiles. They don't seem to work any more :-( Although, I do remember
>there being some talk of "logon path" turning into "logon home" for
>profiles or something, is that right? Anyway, this is what I have in
smb.conf:

>         logon path = \\fridge\profiles\%U

This was all hashed out some time ago now. Under Win9X, the logon home
parameter is the one you want, and there is no way to have your profiles
anywhere except in the home share or as sub-directory of the home share.
This is because Win9X does things that means that the logon home parameter
is used both when you do a net use /home and when profiles are wanted.

The best you can do is:

         logon home = \\%L\%U\profiles

>[profiles]
>         comment = User profiles
>         path = /home/profiles
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0700
>         directory mask = 0700
>         browseable = No
>
>Any help would be appreciated.
>

>Also, the weird Win9x looking like it's logged in multiple times got even
>worse today, now I have not two, not three, but FOUR utmp entries for my
>current login. How nice.
>
>freddie  smb/2    zugzug            9:22pm  0.00s 33:38m   ?     -
>freddie  smb/5    zugzug            9:22pm  0.00s 33:38m   ?     -
>freddie  smb/6    zugzug            9:22pm  0.00s 33:38m   ?     -
>freddie  smb/7    zugzug            9:22pm  0.00s 33:38m   ?     -
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Freddie

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course
Author: First Australian 2-day, intensive, hands-on Samba course