Samba on AIX

itsore08 at us.ibm.com itsore08 at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 21 19:32:42 GMT 2000

Performance guru's,

We are currently testing how many Samba client connections each model of
RS/6000 can support. We've modified smbclient to attempt to connect 100,
250, 500, 1000, etc, clients per minute, to see what breaks first. :)

When using local user-level security, even with encryption, Samba performs
well, but using domain-level or server-level security it slows down and
many connections fail. 100 domain authentications per minute work fine
against a remote NT password server, but at about 600 domain connections
per minute almost 300 connections fail entirely.

When we run the same bulk authentication script against a FastConnect
server, or directly against the NT 4.0 PDC, we don't see this problem. Is
this to be expected, or are we doing something wrong?

Our test environment is currently:

PDC
===
- Pentium II @ 450 MHz