VNC and VMWare

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Mon Mar 20 12:28:05 GMT 2000

Luke--

	You talked about being able to switch between different VMWare
sessions using alt-F1 through F12.

	You ought to try out XVNC and svncviewer--they make a *beautiful*
combination.  As you may(or may not) know, X...can occasionally lack a
certain level of stability that servers require.  svgalib is *far* more
stable than XFree86, though it isn't nearly as fast.  What I'll generally
do on production servers that I still want to run X on is load up xvnc
sessions on the machine, then do a loopback svncviewer to the session of
choice.  The best part is that I can run multiple, completely
independant(even different users!), highly stable, and acceptably fast
displays on one machine.

	You can most probably load a VMWare session into xvnc, and view it
on any convenient machine or tty.  Hope this helps!

	Oh--biggest issue I had was with the mouse being
hypersensitive.  Go into /etc/vga/libvga.config and disable as much mouse
acceleration content as you can.

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky
	DoxPara Research