2.0.7pre2, utmp in particular

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Sun Mar 19 19:09:31 GMT 2000

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:03:15 +1100, hai scritto:
>
> >utmp = Yes
> >utmp dir = /var/run
>
> >freddie  smb/1    zugzug            9:08pm  0.00s 13:20    ?     -
> >freddie  smb/2    zugzug            9:08pm  0.00s 13:20    ?     -
>
> Are you able to see those entries with "last" after they exited?
> I've yet to try pre2, with pre1 I saw the entries with who and w, but
> not with last because samba updates /var/run/utmp and not /var/log/wtmp.
>
> I'm running rh61, glibc2.1.2

A patch I submitted on 17 Feb ought to address the w- and u- files being
in different directories: indeed it also lets them default to their
natural (and possibly different) directories in the absence of a "utmp
directory" entry in smb.conf .  Alas, that patch seems to have been missed
in the pre2 tarball.

(At this point, let me acknowledge the unseen work that Giulio did in
persuading the utmp code to work on Redhat Linux.)

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :