passdb/pass_check.c

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Mar 10 10:16:32 GMT 2000

[Alex Olugbile]
> I have found that the strcmp attempt in password_check(...) may fail
> and cause an internal error when crypt returns NULL.

Not that I don't believe you, but when does crypt() return NULL?  My
manpage here says it returns a pointer to static data -- so running out
of memory shouldn't be an issue, right?  Or does crypt() have to
allocate memory to do the encryption part?

> I've have modified my own build to check for NULL, but is there a
> patch for this problem

How do you handle the error?  I can't think what the Right Thing to do
in this situation is.  Time out and try again, or just fail?

Peter