nmbd extensions

Shaun delius at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed Jun 28 10:03:18 GMT 2000

Hi All,

I'm not sure how to propose this, or what the attitude of the samba team
is to external patches/suggestions but here goes.

nmbd is a really nice netbios name server, I'm certainly a fan. However, I
feel its functionality is a bit arbritarily limited. Currently it only has
the ability to publish its own netbios name and aliases (in types 00, 03,
and one other that doesn't sprint to mind right now). There is more that
can be done with this, for example windows NT tries to publish
(exclusively) a 03 type netbios name for all the logged in users, which of
course makes NET SEND function the way it does.

Anyways, cutting to the chase, I hope to modify nmbd so that a
parameter 'name file' or something similar in smb.conf will be able to
point it at a file that contains names and types that the server should
publish in addition to those in the smb.conf file. This file would (like
the smb.conf) be reread when a SIGHUP was received. From there it would be
relatively easy on any platform to change the login process so that it
added a name to the file and restarted the server.

Does anyone feel this is worthwhile? Has it been done and I haven't
noticed? Would a patch to provide this behaviour be accepted?

Cheers,
Shaun