vmware + smb

Jens Lauer Jens.Lauer at e-technik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jun 27 12:28:31 GMT 2000

Sorry, but due to that the mail arcive is not available I cannot browse
it
                - perhaps the question was answered hundred times before

I have some problems with samba and vmware together. It seems that
vmware (and its vmware_samba) use
some ports which before only was for the generic linux samba so that
such kind of error message appears in  "/var/log/samba/log.smb" :

[2000/06/23 07:15:14, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(671)
  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

This correlates slightly with the date I have installed vmware the first
time on this machine.
On an other host where vmware runs every week the smbd dies without
reason and the windows users
cannot log in anymore. What experiences are? How is vmware to set (host
only or bridged) - pros and cons please.

Thanks in advance
--jens