native posix permissions

Gunnar Degnbol degnbol at danbbs.dk
Mon Jun 26 20:46:25 GMT 2000

At 04:30 27-06-2000 +1000, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 02:50:42AM +1000, Shirish Kalele wrote:
>[...]
> > Yes, that's true. But do you see support for this coming from Microsoft
> > themselves? As far as I understand, all they were willing to do was reserve
> > the said bits in the smb packets to flag unix acls. Of course, the Samba
> > team could provide the clients, but I'm not sure we want to go down that
> > road. Till then, acl mapping rules :-)
>
>Some time ago, someone posted some announcement for a shell
>extension here. It was named uae or the like. The *.zip
>even contained a *.idl-file for his stuff. (*bing* A
>real-world simple idl-file... going to feed it into sidlc
>and if the license is GPL, going to put it into the
>examples-dir)
>

>Oh, just found the URL in the README (and the
>license-statement: LGPL):
>
>http://www.danbbs.dk/~degnbol/software,
>and the author is: Gunnar Degnbol <degnbol at danbbs.dk>
>
>Hmmm... I don't find it anymore there...
>(No, rse is something else...)
>well...
>
>     Elrond

Sorry it disappeared. It's back now. I started designing a new interface,
but wasn't sure about what it should look like and where to hook it into
Samba.

The cifs-unix spec talks about a new protocol level, which only works
between Unix machines. As I understand it, HP's implementation works
whatever SMB dialect is used, and I just have to try and call it to see if
it is there?

I don't think it is a big problem that it is not made by MS. It should be
simple to install it through a login script.

Gunnar