Extension to Samba IDL.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Jun 21 00:19:18 GMT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> Luke,
>
> I'm confused.  Your answers are not making sense to me.
>
> Microsoft has their own IDL called MIDL, right?

only because they co-opted it because paul leach was working on NCA.

> Might they not add extensions to this language?

they have added one and _only_ one: a wchar type for strings, so that they
could do Unicode(2)

> Why should we not create a super-set called SambaIDL that does add extensions
> to the MIDL language?

because none are needed.  if you _think_ some are needed, then re-think
your understanding of DCE/RPC, and the think-extensions goes away.

> Are their conflicts between MIDL and OpenGroup IDL?

only the wchar type, for strings.

[p.s. developing an SMB-IDL-compiler, an SMB-trans-LANMAN-IPC-IDL-compiler
and an NBT-IDL-compiler are *all* totally separate issues that are going
to require different approaches.]