Extension to Samba IDL.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jun 20 16:26:10 GMT 2000

On Jun 20,  9:18am, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> Subject: Re: Extension to Samba IDL.
> > Luke:  what's wrong with doing this?
>
> nothing.
>
> just not if it's not part of the DCE/RPC spec.
>
> [for sidlc in DCE/RPC-IDL-mode]
>
>-- End of excerpt from Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton

Do we need a DCE/RPC-IDL-specific-mode?  I can see Microsoft adding new
features to their MIDL.  Anything they add won't conflict with what they've
already got, though, or they'd mess themselves up massively.  Our goals, then
are: 1) to make sure our Samba IDL is a proper superset of MIDL, and 2) that
we're not afraid to fix things if MS introduces a conflicting enhancement.

BTW, how much conflict is there between MIDL and other IDLs?  Could sidlc
handle a variety of flavors?

Chris -)-----