Extension to Samba IDL.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jun 20 16:18:16 GMT 2000

On Jun 20,  9:05am, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> Subject: Re: Extension to Samba IDL.
> > That's why I asked before making this extension.  The other thing I'm
working
> > on is finding a way to add yodl to comment blocks so that we can generate
> > documentation from the same source files.
>
> oo!!!  i like that!
>
> or, no wait, how about a yodl-output-template?

As I fuss with it more I'm leaning toward the ability to parse out the raw text
from a comment block.  That text could be in yodl or whatever.  It's easy to
do as long as there is a syntax for the comment block.  (That is, the compiler
sees it as a comment block, but the text extracter knows the difference between
"DOC" comments and regular comments.)

> >   BTW, when specifying a bitfield using the [u]int:x syntax, the parsed
> >   data can be read into byte, short, or long depending on the value of
> >   x.   If x <= 8 then use a byte, x <=16 use a short, etc.
>
> hmm, suggest making it specific it makes life a lot easier.

So a syntax like uint8:6 would mean "parse out 6 bits and store them in a
uint8"?  That makes sense and reduces the keyword overhead as well.  I think
that's what Elrond was suggesting.

> plus, i may have pre-existing code that requires that the 1-bit "thing" be
> stored in a uint64.

How annoying.  ;)

Chridz -)-----