Password validation failure.

rap curl rapcurl at attglobal.net
Sat Jun 17 16:46:53 GMT 2000

Newbie question

I have samba Version 2.0.5a installed on  Redhat 2.2.13-0.7smp and being

used by about 20 win98 clients.

I have a problem where the password appears to fail validation sometimes
and
the user is unable to access thier shares.
Anything setup as public is OK, including printing.

Sometimes it seems that validation works OK for a while, then fails at
(from memory)
MD5 validation, although it usually identifies the correct login to
check.

Some of the testing ive done implies that the length of the unix
username
is important, but I set up a user with a really long name, then
shortened
it until it worked... It didnt.
Yes, I understand that the userid, the users home dir, the passwd file,
the
smbusers file and the smbpasswd file need to all be in sync!

Just to put the icing on the cake, Win --> unix passwd changes
arent working, but Ill have to look at the passwd chat parameter next
on that one.

Ive looked thru loads of online docos, and also subscribed to the
comp.protocols.smb and cant find any thing that seems to fit there.

Help anyone? Is this one in a FAQ I havent read yet?

Thanks
HM