Q: pstring size. OpenVMS 7.2 Alpha has 4096 character path names.

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jun 16 13:56:02 GMT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> Since a complete path in OpenVMS is now 4096 characters, it looks like I
> would need to change SMB.H to be the following:

> #ifndef MAX_FILEPATH
> #define MAX_FILEPATH 1024
> #endif
> typedef char pstring[MAX_FILEPATH];

I think you're right that 'pstring' means 'path string', but pstrings are used
in many other places in the code now for things other than path.  I think in
some cases fairly long strings are needed, even on systems that are limited to
much shorter file paths.  As long as your detection code never sets
MAX_FILEPATH to be /less/ than 1024, it should work.  (I don't know if other
systems have a MAX_FILEPATH defn. in their headers; if so, perhaps a uniquely
samba name would be better?)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer