ANNOUNCE: pam_pwexport, Unix->SMB password changes

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Thu Jun 15 15:39:00 GMT 2000

  [Peter Samuelson]

[Steve Langasek <vorlon at netexpress.net>]
> Not entirely true; pam_smbpass has allowed people to do this for a
> while using PAM.

Yes you are correct.  I didn't think about pam_smbpass.  I did look at
pam_smb which can't do what I wanted.

> > ALSO: pam_pwexport won't work properly without a small patch,
> > included, to fix a bug in Linux-PAM 0.72.

> Interesting.  I guess that explains why I was having trouble changing
> the order in which password modules were stacked. :) However, I think
> the '_pam_delete(tpass);' line still needs to be there (you have it
> commented out), as there's no reason why the crypted password should
> be kept around.

You're right.  My bad.  The other two lines were wrong, though.

> (I haven't looked to closely, but I think it's a memory leak if we
> don't destroy it there.)

I'm pretty sure I have a few memory leaks in my own code too.  I wasn't
very worried about them for the first release; I figured I could go
through and knock them out once the basic functionality was working.
(I know this isn't a recommended methodology for S/W engineering....)

Peter