ANNOUNCE: pam_pwexport, Unix->SMB password changes

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Jun 15 14:40:44 GMT 2000

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [[posted to samba-ntdom and samba-technical]]

> More than one user has recently asked about Unix->Samba password sync.

> You can go the *other* direction with those chat options in smb.conf,
> and Samba even has an option `update encrypted' for using cleartext
> passwords and populating the smbpasswd file when people change them.

> But when a user executes `passwd' or `yppasswd' on the Unix system,
> Samba has no way of knowing, so your NT password gets out of sync.

> Until now.

Not entirely true; pam_smbpass has allowed people to do this for a while
using PAM.  But pam_smbpass is in a state of flux right now, and more PAM
modules are always welcome. :)  As you say, pam_pwexport isn't specific to
Samba, either.

> Like most PAM modules, it's not very hard to set up.  Included is an
> example glue script for making it work with smbpasswd.

> ALSO: pam_pwexport won't work properly without a small patch, included,
> to fix a bug in Linux-PAM 0.72.

Interesting.  I guess that explains why I was having trouble changing the
order in which password modules were stacked. :)  However, I think the
'_pam_delete(tpass);' line still needs to be there (you have it commented
out), as there's no reason why the crypted password should be kept around.
(I haven't looked to closely, but I think it's a memory leak if we don't
destroy it there.)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer