Multiple Platform remote CPU load issue in Samba 1.x and2.x

Allen, Michael B (RSCH) Michael_B_Allen at ml.com
Wed Jun 14 01:18:54 GMT 2000

	[Allen, Michael B (RSCH)]

	A quick fix could be as simple as adding something like the
following to the netbios session code:

	if ( first two bytes != 0x81 00 ) { // session request
	     send 0x83 00 00 01 81 // negative session response
	                                      // not listening on called
name error
	     close the connection
	}

	But the real problem is that it's clear the current code isn't
validating the incoming info _at all_. It should really check the packet
type, calling name, and called name. I wonder why it doesn't barf on reading
the name though. That's why I think there might be something lower level
going on but again I haven't looked at the session service code.

	Michael B. Allen
	http://jcifs.samba.org