Clipper locking

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Tue Jun 13 20:06:06 GMT 2000

On Jun 14,  5:52am, Elvis Pfutzenreuter wrote:
> Subject: Clipper locking
> I am facing problems while trying to run Clipper programs whose DBF files are
> on a Samba volume. I have tried a number of locking parameter combinations,
> but no one avoided index corruption. I guess two or more clients can get a
> lock and write over the same file region. Is there a way to make those apps
> work correctly on Samba volumes ?
>
> I believe this question has been made a lot of times, but I didn't found an
> authoritative answer, neither by myself nor in Internet.
>-- End of excerpt from Elvis Pfutzenreuter

Does this work correctly if the server is an NT box?

Clipper goes way back.  It was, if I recall correctly, a compiler for dBase
programs.  Now, it's been about 15 years since I last used dBase.  I believe,
however, that they used a cooperative locking scheme.  That is, if process 1
set a lock, process 2 had to check the lock before using the data or corruption
would result.

I would assume that, in the years since I worked with these products, they've
implemented real locking.  It's just a thought...

Chris -)-----