Needs Help with Samba to authenticate to NDS

Sarabjit Singh SinghS at cbs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 06:58:25 GMT 2000

Our current environment is the following -

Solaris 2.7 (NDS for Solaris)
Samba 2.07
Netware 5
NT Workstation (service pack 5)

We use NDS for Solaris. NDS users are created, then granted access to the Solaris box, where they can
login. We have a couple of pure UNIX accounts on the Solaris box that are not handled by NDS.

We also have enabled plain text passwords on the NT clients.

When we connect as a pure UNIX user to a samba share (e.g a home directory, using the NET USE command)
it works fine. When a pure NDS user tries to connect it fails. We want to give a netware user
a home directory that is on the Solaris box via Samba.

In a nutshell -

How do we get Samba to authenticate to NDS (instead of /etc/passwd as it is doing now)?
Is what we are trying to do possible and if so, how and what do we have to do to achieve it?
Many Thanks

Sarabjit

Sarabjit Singh
Systems Programmer