WINS and the LMB

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Mon Jun 12 16:20:40 GMT 2000

According to comments in the code, nmbd politely ignores attempts by an
LMB to register its <domain>#1D name.  The polite bit is that nmbd does
send back a positive registration response.

Some MS docs I stumbled across suggest that WINS behaves differently.
Under WINS, the #1D name is registered, replacing any previous
registration, with no complaints about duplicate names.  The upshot of
this would be that the most recent election winner would be listed in the
WINS database.

This is only of interest if browser clients or backup browsers actually do
a WINS lookup for #1D names.  I have not checked to see if this happens
(does anyone know?).  If it *does* happen, then being able to find an LMB
in the WINS database could really mess things up.

- If all of the LMBs are proprerly synced (via a DMB), then there's no
  problem.

- Given that 'H' node status is the default when a WINS server is
  available, and that the H node does a WINS lookup before trying a
  broadcast...  If the LMBs are not synced, then the client might get the
  IP of an LMB on a remote subnet.  Local services would not be visible
  because the lists are not synced.  Clients would get random lists of
  available services.

Can anyone shed additional light on this?  What am I missing?

The MS document that I saw that suggested that MS does register the LMB
<domain>#1D name is:

 http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q119/4/95.ASP

It said:

\\<domain_name>[1Dh]
      This instance of the domain name is registered only by the Master
      Browser, of which there can only be one for the domain. This name is
      used by the Backup Browsers to communicate with the Master Browser
      in order to retrieve the list of available servers from the Master
      Browser.

Which is badly worded, but I think that they mean that there can be only
one instance of this name in the WINS database.

Chris -)-----