Update on blocked port

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Thu Jun 8 14:41:29 GMT 2000

On Jun 8, 10:08am, Ron Alexander wrote:

> The telnet comes back with
> Trying...
> A LOT OF TIME PASSES HERE
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: The connection timed out.

Suggests that TCP/139 is being blocked.  No responses are getting through to
tell you that the connection can or can't be made.

> When I use "telnet 83.76.98.11 137" I get
>
> Trying...
> NO pause here, it returns immediately.
> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: The connection was refused.
>
> Am I seeing a problem, or is this normal?

This is as expected.  Telnet uses TCP, but the NetBIOS name service is UDP
based.  So... @Home is probably *not* blocking TCP/137.  Thus, the request
is getting through to the remote system which is replying with a connection
refused message.

Chris -)-----