blocked port

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 15:58:31 GMT 2000

On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Ron Alexander wrote:

> I think I have discovered why many of the tests fail between my server and
> my pc.
>
> It appears that port 139 is blocked between my server and my PC. I am using
> the @home network and VPN. Has anyone heard of this happening before, and if
> so, how do you 'fix' it.

What's the VPN system you're using? Do you mean the server can't connect
to your PC's port 139, or vice versa?

> I changed my services file on my pc, but a netstat -na shows that 139 is
> still listening. I have searched the registry and all my ini files, but
> there is no port 139.

services file ... registry?? Port 139 = NetBIOS. It will be part of the
OS's networking subsystem, so you won't see any reference to this port
number (it'll be a hardwired constant somewhere).

James.