Samba and the euro symbol

Marc Jacobsen Marc_Jacobsen at hp.com
Tue Jun 6 21:31:24 GMT 2000

Hi,

Sorry if this has been talked about before, I tried to check the archives, but
they have been down for a while and still are not working.  I was wondering if
anyone knows anything about Samba supporting the euro symbol in file names?

In playing with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 98 as clients to Samba 2.0.6 I have
had no luck.  The clients change the euro symbol (in file names) into a "?" or
"_" character before sending it to Samba over the network.  When they send a
filename over the network to an AS/U server (or presumably an NT server) they
send Unicode and the euro character is sent intact.  Since Samba doesn't support
Unicode it can't work like that for Samba.

I fear that supporting the euro symbol in file names with Samba may be tied to
supporting Unicode.  I hope that isn't the case.  Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Marc Jacobsen