BUG with g+s: Re: "Inherit Permissions" request for comments

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Jun 6 12:08:24 GMT 2000

David Collier-Brown wrote:

> Michael Tokarev wrote:
> >                                 In the other words,
> > inherit permissions parameter changed semantics of g+s when unset.
> > If this is considered normal, than it should be documented as
> > compatibility change (that is, 2.0.7 is incompatible with all previous
> > versions on this respect).
>
>         "Erk", saith the tech writer! (;-))
>
>         Seriously, though, once we decide upon a resolution,
>         I'll propose a migration strategy to this list and a
>         documentation change to the docs list.

Ops, one another issue with this bug (it is really bug).
And a way for thinking...

When I use some, say, msdos-based filesystem accessed via samba
(floppy, zip drive etc), chmod() will fail with "operation not
permitted" message (due to owner problems, or as fs does not support
attribs etc).  With way, mkdir() will succed, but chmod() fail,
and I get "file exists" message from samba!
Funny... :)