BUG with g+s: Re: "Inherit Permissions" request for comments

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Mon Jun 5 15:55:35 GMT 2000

[ warning: rambling thoughts ahead ]

I think what we're seeing here is really the conflict between two separate
userbases for Samba:

 1. those using Samba to provide Windows clients access to data on a Unix
system

 2. those using Samba to replace an NT system

I've been involved in enough discussions here to realize that the
requirements of the two groups are often contradictory, at best.

I'm starting to wonder if a "server mode" paramter in smb.conf might not be
appropriate, with one of two settings:

 server mode = native

  or

 server mode = windows

It would mainly only affect the default settings for a number of specific
options (e.g. inherit permissions and so forth).

With the exception of a few things like the bug (it is a bug) we're
discussing here, for the most part Samba currently displays 'server mode =
native' behavior, so that should of course be the default.

The defaults would of course be overridden by any explicit options in the
config file, as is usual.  It shouldn't be an excuse to just lump these
options together, of course; fine-grained control is important, but as a
rule people are probably going to want the options in chunks.

Maybe the existence of this distinction in Samba configuration would also
help people think twice when making modifications to improve one mode of
operation, so that they don't damage the other (as has happened here).