Limit to num of shares?

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 2 13:10:39 GMT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Chris Tooley wrote:

> There is in fact a maximum (AFAIK) of 23 mapped shares (as you aren't
> allowed to map to A: B: or C: (also AFAIK), which I've found to be a
> problem.  I doubt there are that many people out there that need to
> mount that many things, but if you do want to, it's not as easy as
> just doing it.  However, I've got 13 things mounted from an NT WS box
> on about 30 9x machines so I don't think that the 10 connection limit
> is right either.

My recollection was that they don't enforce this limit, they just say
"don't do it" in the license. YMMV, of course.

You CAN, however, connect to any number of shares: just don't map them to
drive letters. e.g. Start ... Run ... "\\server\share". You are connected
to \\server\share, without occupying any drive letters.

James.