First Time Post: Network Neighborhood NOT displaying Linux server shares

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Jun 2 03:01:21 GMT 2000

[clengacher at smcky.com <clengacher at smcky.com>]
> Problem: Using a dos prompt, I can map drives to my computer by
> typing in the IP or Netbios name of the Linux server (192.168.1.1 or
> \\InsaneX\), however, \\InsaneX\ does not appear in my Network
> Neighborhood area on my windows boxes. In addition, when I do map a
> drive to the Linux server, under "My Computer" it shows up as (H:
> 'Ftp' on InsaneX) Any clues as to what I may be doing wrong?

So: the only thing you can't do is browse with Network Neiborhood.

My first guess is that you are running `nmbd' from inetd, which is not
a good idea.  Run it standalone instead.

My second guess is that your Windows boxes are in a different workgroup
from your Linux box.  Check smb.conf.

My third guess is that your browse settings are somehow screwed up.
There are several of them in smb.conf and they can get pretty
confusing.  The defaults should work fine for small peer-to-peer
networks.

My fourth guess is that the usual NetBIOS name resolution is not
working at all, and the only reason that name lookups work is because
your Windows machines are set up to use DNS for this.  (It's buried in
"TCP/IP settings" somewhere.)  The NetBIOS failure could be because the
machines are in a different broadcast domain, or because the Windows
hosts are set not to broadcast at all, or because they have a
fictitious WINS server in their settings, or ... it could be a lot of
things.

Peter